Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Oct 3 21:32:59 CEST 2013

Am 03.10.2013 um 20:09 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 23:15 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> It would have its own cost (in money and in size), but in the long run,
>> I hope the benefits of relying on standardized interfaces would make up
>> for it.
>>
>> From what I can tell, Free Hardware projects don't benefit nearly enough
>> from each other's efforts.  Not sure we have enough Sisyphus around to
>> keep them all alive.
>
> I would note that the GTA04 is not a Free Hardware project.

Yes that is correct. It is not Free Hardware in the strict FSF definition, and it didn't ever try to be.

Like the GTA01, GTA02 and the Ubuntu Edge (if it had reached its crowdfunding goals),
Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard, OpenPandora, ...

All of them have been as open as it could be practically done at the moment
when some design decisions had to be made.

Yes, it is nice to have an unreachable goalto keep all those Sisyphus people working :)

-- hns