Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 4 20:16:23 CEST 2013

Am 04.10.2013 um 19:48 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 21:32 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 03.10.2013 um 20:09 schrieb Bob Ham:
>
>>> I would note that the GTA04 is not a Free Hardware project.
>>
>> Yes that is correct. It is not Free Hardware in the strict FSF definition
>
> I don't think FSF has a definition of "Free Hardware".  Possibly we're
> ascribing different meanings to the phrase.

Yes they have one and even do a certification (which would not be
possible with a definition):

http://www.fsf.org/news/endorsement-criteria
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Hardware/Certification_criteria

>  I'm using "Free Hardware"
> to refer to free or libre hardware with the four freedoms, as described
> by the (unfortunately named) Open Source Hardware and Design Alliance:
>
>  http://www.ohanda.org/
>
>> All of them have been as open as it could be practically done at the moment
>> when some design decisions had to be made.
>
> You've previously said that the reason you refuse to release the
> hardware source files, making the device more "open", is because you
> expect money in return.  Are you now saying restricting access to the
> hardware source files is somehow a "design decision"?

???

I already told you that the hardware source files are open and public.
Just not in the format you would like to see them but you are free to
convert them. Nobody is taking this freedom from you...

Here I am referring to the typical discussion about binary blobs and
firmware drivers - because we decide(d) to use chips we can buy.

E.g. the WLAN chip.

-- hns