The "open hardware" phone project that's had the most interest

Pascal Gosselin pascal at aeroteknic.com
Sat Oct 5 17:04:24 CEST 2013

While I understand the needs/wants of open hardware, the average
smartphone user really couldn't care less. That's the core of the
problem, lack of a large user base.

HOWEVER, what a *lot* people seem to be interested in, is an open
architecture MODULAR smartphone that could be customized.  You want a
bigger battery ?  A better GPS ?  A better camera ?   Audio/video inputs
?  Discrete inputs ?   Serial ports ?  Ethernet ? Absolutely !

Close to 900,000 people have indicated current interest in making this
happen.

http://www.phonebloks.com/

If technically feasible, this project I believe stands the best chance
of obtaining funding as the concept has wide appeal.

Otherwise, while not ideal, the supported ability to load open source
firmware on nice current hardware would mostly negate the need for
something like an "Ubuntu Smartphone".  Most Android hardware vendors
however seem quite focused on making certain that your phone won't last
very long, they are "abandonware" products. Lots of decent phones
officially stuck at Android 2.3 or earlier and hard to root.

-Pascal