First small steps toward free GSM firmware

Balint Szente balint at szentedwg.ro
Wed Oct 16 11:13:44 CEST 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:49:30 +0300
Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:

> Norayr Chilingarian <norayr at arnet.am> writes:
> > Sorry if my questions are a little bit off topic. Anyway I am very
> > interested in free fw for my devices - OM gta-02 and n900.
>                 ^^^^^^^
>
> Afaik the firmware in question won't meet the FSF free software
> definition or OSI open source definition since you don't have a
> license that lets you share and change it legally. If you want free
> software firmware that runs on gta02 you can take a look at osmocombb.

Isn't the situation the same with osmocombb as well?

Based on what is written here:
<http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/LegalAspects#Usingmodifiedphonesoncarriernetworks>
can osmocombb considered free software in FSF's or OSI's definition?
What is not clear for me is that can a software be FSF/OSI "free" but
illegal to use?