First small steps toward free GSM firmware

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Oct 16 20:03:06 CEST 2013

Am 16.10.2013 um 19:31 schrieb Timo Juhani Lindfors:

> Balint Szente <balint at szentedwg.ro> writes:
>> Isn't the situation the same with osmocombb as well?
>>
>> Based on what is written here:
>> <http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/LegalAspects#Usingmodifiedphonesoncarriernetworks>
>> can osmocombb considered free software in FSF's or OSI's definition?
>> What is not clear for me is that can a software be FSF/OSI "free" but
>> illegal to use?

"Free" is a term only considering copyright. I.e. it is licenced under "copyleft".

But general usage of some hardware may be regulated by many other laws.
Customs, export, radio emissions, safety etc. Everything in life is more or less
regulated. And in most cases you are happy that it is (look e.g. at aviation
regulation and safety).

> Afaik you can use it legally if you connect it directly to your own base
> station.

If you connect it by shielded cable or if you place both in a big shielded box.
I.e.  if the spurious emissions stay below some defined level and don't disturb
other services (which includes the public GSM network).