GTA02 NAND problem and devirginator

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Wed Oct 30 12:14:12 CET 2013

On 10/30/2013 06:37 AM, Leonardo Guardati wrote:
> AHi,
>
>     I have a bricked GTA02v7 and the Debug Board v3.
>
> I left it for quite some time and now I would like to
> revive it.
>
> I think there is a problem with the NAND Bad Block Table.
>
> But also could be I have flashed something wrong in the past.
>
> Anyway.
>
> The phone boots, but the display never activates, and the dfu-utils
> doesn't see the attached gta02.
>
> Using the debug board I can see the serial console spitting bootloaders
> messages.
>
> The NOR bootloader (I'm quite sure I never flashed it, so it should be
> the same shipped with the phone) says:
>

> ######### BEGIN console output ################
> \
>

> ######### END console output ################
>

> Also I cannot get to the uboot prompt (the NOR one or the RAM one), where I would issue the
> various "nand" commands to erase nand and recreate the bad block table.
>
> from wiki this should be the sequence:
>
> nand bad
> nand scrub
> nand createbbt
> dynpart
> dynenv set u-boot_env
> saveenv
>

> Can anybody help me? I don't know how to get to the prompt of uboot.
> Or maybe there is another solution to clear the nand and recreate
> the bbt.
>

> Greetings.
>
> Leonardo
I did something like this years and years ago.  I broke the screen on my
GTA02 and SDG systems sent me a 'broken' gta02 so I could use the
screen.  I played a little with the broken one and found that the bbt
had almost every sector in it.

I was able to rebuild the bbt and I still use that gta02 when my gta04
isn't working well.

Sorry I can't remember the specifics, but I know I was able to do it
without a debug board and almost certainly from the NOR u-boot.

I vaguely remember a u-boot option to switch console output between
serial and USB.  If serial (debug board) isn't working for you, maybe
try USB?

Good luck,

Ben