IMEI changing kit for GTA02

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Feb 19 11:41:15 CET 2014

On Wed 19 February 2014 11:26:49 Nick wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:19:12AM +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> > According to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/31/section/1 it is
> > a full (not semi) offence with up to 5 years in prison in the UK.
> >
> > And even possessing such a tool isn't allowed:
> >
> > http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/31/section/2
>
> Eugh. What a horrible piece of legislation. What *should* happen is
> that it should be repealed now that mobile phone theft is far less
> than it was when it was drafted, and known abuses of surveillance
> are far higher. I have precisely zero faith in anything like that
> happening, particularly in the UK.
>
> Although, reading section 1(3)(b) of the first legislation, it looks
> like it's legal if the manufacturer permits it in writing. So someone
> at OM should say "yeah, sure, whatever", which would make us a
> little safer ;)

If that makes you feel better:
yeah, sure, whatever
OM nor me can allow or forbid anything you do to your phone, and I consider
changing of IMEI reasonably safe from a technical perspective.

I however again want to emphasize the absolute lack of any point in changing
IMEI. It will not improve your privacy, au contraire it will make you light up
in their surveillance like a pink Zebra in savanna.
When you need to have privacy, don't use GSM! Use a phonebooth instead! Use
coins, not a phone card!

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)