IMEI changing kit for GTA02

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Feb 19 16:04:52 CET 2014

Am 19.02.2014 um 12:21 schrieb Christoph Pulster:

> Hi,
>
> its nice to see, outlaw Michael's activities cause some life in this
> list.
>
> @Nikolaus: damn to UK laws, Michael is providing a tool to change IMEI,
> no more no less. Besides legal issues, I miss the thanks to Michaels
> effords.

For something that has no use case? And that I don't need?

> Of course he wrote a lot strange/non tolerable things in this
> list in the past, but concerning technical effords, he was very
> insistant and pushed it as far as writing a tool for easy change of IMEI
> without having full access to NDA-infos.

The spirit of Openmoko is to *build* open devices. Because big companies
have the tendency to keep things closed.

And yes we know that we have quite some limitations to reach this goal.

But it was never about *breaking* into devices ignoring NDAs and laws.
For breaking into devices I can buy an iPhone and do a Jailbreak. Or any
Android device and enable root access.

I would applaud if he manages to build his own modem and firmware
from scratch (or based on OsmocomBB) *and* gets FCC and R&TTE and
whatever approvals are needed. That would better bring us forwards than
patching firmware for some legacy chipset (designed 10 years ago).

Or more useful would be if someone would write firmware for the Marvell
chipset or the PowerVR SGX from the scratch.

-- hns