changing IMEI

Nick openmoko-community at njw.me.uk
Thu Feb 20 17:02:43 CET 2014

joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> On Thu 20 February 2014 15:27:33 Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> > and am careful to tunnel all of my data
> > via Tor
>
> Err, right. For that usecase it might work - until you do
> *anything* that gives away your ID

You still have location anonymity though. An adversary may identify
that someone is accessing an email account through the Tor network,
but not where they are.

> Recent tests have revealed that at least 20 nodes in Tor are trying to break
> into your encrypted data transmission.

That issue was explained in more detail at:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/what-spoiled-onions-paper-means-tor-users
The bad relays were blocked as soon as they were discovered. The Tor
project is damn good at discussing and presenting vulnerabilities in
the open, and figuring out best ways of mitigating / defeating them.

> It'd widely known that Tor is infiltrated by agencies.

>From the Snowden disclosures so far, they actually have not been
very successful at breaking Tor at all. Far less so than most
people expected, really.