Openmoko's downfall (was changing IMEI)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Feb 21 08:54:14 CET 2014

Am 21.02.2014 um 08:26 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 08:38:35 PM Michael Spacefalcon wrote:
>
> > I am also convinced that the *real* reason why "Openmoko = failure" in
> > the general public's perception is precisely because of that NDA and
> > no one having broken it during the years when it mattered the most.
>
> That's your point of view. Point of view of a firmware hacker.

and someone who wants to modify history to fit his argumentation.

> But there are other points of view. E.g. some people expect the phone ring when friends/wife/customer calls. I had many phones before and 2 phones after (N900 and now Jolla). None of them had any problems with SMS and telephony.

Yes. This is one important factor. The other one was simply the economic hiccup end of 2008 why OM had to cancel the already developed GTA03 for simple economic reasons.

> Openmoko is different - they never provided SW for reliable phone. Openmoko never provided stable maintainable kernel

This is completely different with the GTA04 and why I invite every remaining Openmoko GTA01/02 owner to cannibalize their device for a GTA04A5 motherboard. Because that goal is within reach with the GTA04.

We have not reached the goal to get the 100% complete and optimal kernel from kernel.org or debian.org, but are working on a 3.14 kernel and getting things mainline (already with some success). And Replicant 4.2 is starting to work as well.

BTW: more support for that work from the community would speed up progress.

>  - instead they wasted their time on doing 4 ugly unusable distros while at the time they had perfectly stable usable and working Qtopia.
>
> And even 5 years after there is no good kernel for Freerunner. 2.6.29-rc seems quite stable but the patch against mainline is horrible, besides it's power management is worse then it could be. 2.6.39 has hardly nearly unreproducible problem with resume.
>
> Now we have free firmware which is cool, but the usablity of the phone hasnt changed much.

Except for QtMoko which IMHO also should get more support to optimize the last 2%.

BR,
Nikolaus