/gsm/com/rfcap: tri-band GSM modem believes itself to be quad-band

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 16 03:27:31 CET 2014

On Thu 16 January 2014 02:58:29 Michael Spacefalcon wrote:
> Hello Om community,
>
> In the course of hacking TI GSM firmwares, I have come across something
> that some of you may find interesting, or might even have some insight
> into.
>
> We all know that our good familiar Neo Freerunner (GTA02) was made in
> two versions: one with 900/1800/1900 MHz bands, the other with
> 850/1800/1900 MHz instead.  The hardware difference is one RF SAW
> filter part populated differently on the same PCB; see this picture:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/File:Gta02a6_comms_chips_under_shield.JPG
>
> The SAW filters for the GSM downlink Rx path are the 3 little buggers
> near the upper right corner, immediately adjacent to the shiny metallic
> component which is the antenna switch.  There is one Rx SAW filter for
> each of the 3 supported bands: one for 1800 MHz (both GTA02 versions),
> one for 1900 MHz (ditto), and one populated for either 850 or 900 MHz.
> (*I think* the topmost one out of the 3 in that picture is the one
> responsible for the 850 vs. 900 MHz difference, but please double-check
> that before attempting any surgery on your Neo!)
>
> Well, here is the part which will surely surprise at least some of you:
> the standard firmware for the GTA01/02 modem (which is the same for
> all versions, both GTA01 and GTA02) does not actually know which 3
> frequency bands are supported by the device it runs on!  And no, it
> does not auto-detect either: there is no way (short of ESP) for any
> firmware running on the Calypso/Iota/Rita chipset to divine what kind
> of SAW filter sits between that chipset and the antenna.
>
> Instead, as strange as it may sound, the modem (at least when running
> the standard mokoN firmware, see below) believes itself to be quad-
> band!
>
> In TI's universe, the "standard" way to "teach" a GSM device (phone or
> modem) which GSM frequency bands it supports is *not* to hard-code
> that knowledge in the firmware at compile time; instead this property
> is stored in a configuration file named /gsm/com/rfcap in the GSM
> device file system.  Yes, TI-based GSM devices all use a flash file
> system with a very UNIX-like "look and feel", including UNIX-style
> pathnames; see my write-up:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/falconian/freecalypso-sw/src/1852900ce9ea4ac52d4648f7
> d9ca46897eb3640b/doc/TIFFS?at=default
>
> Like most files in TI's GSM FFS, /gsm/com/rfcap is a binary file, not
> ASCII.  It is a file of exactly 16 bytes, and although I haven't found
> a formal document describing its format in plain English, we can study
> the code that reads this file and acts upon its content:
>
> http://scottn.us/downloads/peek/TCS3.2_N5.24_M18_V1.11_M23BTH_PSL1_src/g23m
> -gsm/rr/rr_csf.c
>
> The 16-byte file is being read into a variable of type EF_RFCAP, which
> is defined here:
>
> http://scottn.us/downloads/peek/TCS3.2_N5.24_M18_V1.11_M23BTH_PSL1_src/g23m
> /condat/com/include/pcm.h

> [...]

A friend of mine complained about poor reception of the FR I handed to him
which I used for 6 months without any trouble. Turned out he's using D1
(900MHz) carrier while my SIM was E1 (1800MHz), and the FR happened to be a US
model which I forgot about.
Bottom line: even 850MHz FR can do 900MHz but the reception is pretty poor
though just sufficient in usual urban environment.
I don't think network/BTS can "direct" the mobile to another channel, it can
only adveritse other channels but it's up to mobile to determine if that
channel actually works in the particular situation - there may be other
problems to receive 900MHz band than just a SAW filter, like local interference
or whatever. When the mobile can't use a certain frequency, the BTS will not
"force" the mobile to that frequency.

PS: yes, the firmware is the very same for all Openmoko phones. No differences
in firmware according to model or version.
/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)