[Community] GTA04A5 / Letux 2804

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 17 20:23:38 CET 2014

On Fri 17 January 2014 19:13:24 Michael Spacefalcon wrote:
> [...]
> "dumbphone" applications (I've been using one of my Pirelli phones as
> my everyday cellphone since last spring, and I have nothing but praise
> for it in terms of battery life, GSM signal strength and call quality),
> because all hardware documentation and firmware sources for this
> chipset have already been freed, and because I have already amassed a
> great deal of experience working with this chipset.
>
> Providing hacking support for Openmoko-made modems is simply a side-
> product of my FreeCalypso work: I have chosen to bring my firmware up
> on known-working hardware first, so that when I build my own hw and
> get to debug it, I will have the benefit of known-working firmware.
>
> Put another way, the free phone community (combination of FreeCalypso
> and OsmocomBB projects) has already made great progress with the
> Calypso chipset.  Switching to another vendor's chipset on a whim
> would be an enormous setback for the project and for the community,
> and it is not fair for you to ask that of us - here I am referring to
> the "you should be working on this instead of that" argument in your
> comment.
>
> > So your claim of "GTA02 is 100% freeable and GTA04 is not" is only based
> > on your disinterest to work on solutions?
>
> I am working on solutions, but the problem I have chosen to solve is
> different from yours.  Some people, such as me, simply want a good
> working cellphone, a device for making and receiving phone calls on
> the go - and we want this cellphone to be free as in 100% owned and
> controlled by the user.  If the objective is to have a plain phone,
> rather than a mobile computer, a device consisting of just one baseband
> processor, without an extra application processor, is a technically
> superior solution for the problem at hand: greater battery life, less
> unnecessary complexity, fewer points of failure.  And the existence of
> the Calypso chipset makes it possible for such a simple and efficient
> "dumbphone" to also be 100% free by virtue of the user owning and
> controlling the complete firmware.
>
> Then there are those people who do want their pocket-resident device
> to be a computer complete with an OS like GNU/Linux, rather than just
> a phone - but some of those people would also want that device to be
> 100% free including the telephony processor - and not just "half-free"
> aka "half-pregnant".  For this class of users, the best currently
> extant device is the GTA02, made by Openmoko - not your GTA04, and not
> my dumbphone either.
>
> Yes, there is the problem of these devices no longer being made - but
> instead of solving this problem by building a new device that would be
> as near-identical to the GTA02 as possible, including the Calypso
> (just like how I seek to copy the Pirelli DP-L10 as closely to verbatim
> as possible), you are making it worse by *actively destroying* the
> remaining stock of Openmoko phones!
>
> Hence we will likely always be fighting on opposite sides.

Please can you save me from reading those walls of text filled with
ideologically biased trolling, offenses and badmouthing of good work others do
that you obviously are not interested in?
If you have nothing better to contribute than a silly
> Upgrade?  Surely you must have meant downgrade - why would anyone in
> his or her right mind voluntarily give up a device that is 100%
> freeable down to the modem (GTA02) for a Qualcomm-based closed
> proprietary product like yours?
just to start your usual trolling based on the deserved reply, then you rather
simply shut up.

Many thanks!
/j

(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)