[ot] Pi-Phone or blackberry-pi ?

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Sun Jun 22 14:15:28 CEST 2014

Hi All,

I took a model A raspberry pi [1] a tft screen [2] and a Arduino gsm
shield [3] to create a "mobile phone" [4]

It was a fun experiment to do, and in the end it did gave me a "phone" i
can use.
Unfortunately, it became so big and heavy, that it is more something to
put on your desk as a clock. [5]

Some of the reasons to build a phone myself were:

-1 because you can ;-)
-2 the pi is made in large quantities and has a big community.
-3 up-to-date kernel
-4 huge collection of programs in the raspbian repository.

I hope it inspires someone to build a better model, smaller and with a
better battery life.

Kind regards,
Ed

[1]