Indiephone.eu

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Jun 28 11:45:31 CEST 2014

> Hi,
> there appears to be a new initiative which is taking all our values (openness, freedom, community development, ) and casting it into a new name:
>
> 	http://indiephone.eu/faq/
>
> "The most common answer to that is that no other product is currently attempting to solve the problem as Indie Phone. That problem is how to empower mere mortals to own their own data. This is why we are crafting a beautiful experience that seamlessly combines hardware, software, and services, to create a consumer smartphone to compete with the likes of iPhone and Nexus."
>
> e.g. compare to:
>
> 	http://www.openphoenux.org
>
> "You are the owner:
> 	• Be independent from big players.
> 	• Make the system transparent, not the user.
> 	• Keep control over your data."
>
> Their claim that "there is no other product" appears to be completely ignoring all our efforts of the past years. And I am not aware of any relation with us.
> They even copied to use the word "indie/independent".
>
> Does anyone know more about that?

I had in parallel contacted the indiephone.eu people and got an immediate answer that I think I should share, before the discussion is going wrong:

"Is there any chance you can make it to the summit? (Where are you based?)

Would love to be involved and I’m sure there is a lot we can learn from you and perhaps we can bring some of you in to help us out with the hardware side of things. Our approach is very different in that we are focussed entirely on building independent consumer products that are design-led from the business model down (holistic design). That said, I believe we share the same goals independence and giving the user control/owndership. Our user happens to be consumers whereas the user for OpenPhoenux, as far as I can tell, is enthusiasts with technical knowledge.

We should definitely be talking and helping each other out.

If you can make it to Brighton next week — please try and come on the 3rd for our private social meet-up prior to the event as I’d love the opportunity to chat one-on-one :)

(And, although the schedule is tight, I believe we can squeeze in just one demo during the eat, drink, and watch session at lunch if you want 3 minutes to show off what you guys are working on.)"

The summit mentioned appears to be this:

	https://indietech.org/summit/

If anyone wants to and can go to Brighton next week, please let me know to arrange the 3 minutes with the summit organisers.

BR,
Nikolaus