State of FreeCalypso

mail at dmatthews.org mail at dmatthews.org
Tue Apr 28 16:35:50 UTC 2015

>FWIW, last I checked, his work does sadly not enjoy any of those
>freedoms.  Yes, you *can* look at the code, change it, and redistribute
>it, but you're not legally allowed to because the source code he has
>is proprietary.

le sigh

Imagine you are broke and starving hungry (that's quite easy where I live)

You notice that the local supermarket has forgotten to lock up the trash area, where they chuck out perfectly good food coz it's gone past an arbitrary sell by date.

You load up a bag with vegetables and you now have some appealing choices:-

1. you can eat the stuff raw or cook it
2. you could add a load of crap to it as in a frozen ready meal or prepare in a wholesome recipe
3. you can share a meal with your starving spouse and mewling children
4. .... I dunno but I'm sure there is a four and more

So you were slightly naughty and trespassed, you grabbed something that wasn't really yours, but it was **going to waste** and **no one really cares**. NOBODY loses and a one plus person gets a meal.

>Much better than running some binary blob you can't even look at, yes,

Yes indeed, very much better

>but still very different from the the goals of Free Software.

Are they very different? Well when are these different goals gonna lead anywhere in the case of a cell phone? I don't see anything other than freecalypso.

--
David Matthews
mail at dmatthews.org