CMOS battery replacement

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Dec 19 17:27:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 12.12.2015 um 03:06 schrieb Benjamin Deering <ben_deering at jeepingben.net>:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:38:54 -0800
> Andrew Schenck <andrew at springahead.com> wrote:
>
>> That's a lot more work than I had hoped.  Thanks very much for the
>> info though.  If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix
>> the USB port and GPS port at the same time.
>>
>> -Andrew
>>
>> On 12/11/2015 1:30 PM, Benjamin Deering wrote:
>>> The backup battery (supercap?) is welded to its bracket and
>>> won't push out.
>>>
>>> I replaced the backup batteries in my GTA02s with supercaps several
>>> years ago.
>>> http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2010/freerunner_supercap_install
>>>
>>> The parts I used didn't match the original footprint so it was a
>>> little work.  If you get the exact replacement part, it would be
>>> easy if you have soldering experience.
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember a software problem causing the line that charges
>>> the backup bat/cap not being set high.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Ben

The GTA04 already has a supercap in battery shape. They came to the market
in ~2011.

Since there is nothing to replace (a supercap rarely fails), it is most likely
a software issue that the charging current provided by the tpw65950 is not
enabled.

So which OS&kernel are you using? In most systems I know, the RTC
"resets" to 1st Jan 2000.

> I was successful in fixing the USB port, but never tried the GPS port.
> The GPS port is under a lot of stress when the board is installed.

Should not be the case. You should move the USB+GPS socket as flat as
possible into or out from  the case. Then push out the case at the position
of the headset connector so that the latter snaps down a little in its hole.

This avoids breaking off connectors.

See also photos in chapter 4 (especially page 18) of the GTA04 system
manual:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/47/

> I ended up giving up on the traces and soldering thin wires to the ESD
> protection chip and to the leads on the jack.

That is fine and indeed sometimes needed if a socket was broken off.

> After getting the USB port connected electrically, I used JB weld epoxy
> to fix it mechanically.  The repair lasted years including some pretty
> rough use and being reflow soldered.

> Good luck,
>
> Ben

The GTA04 original part is a PAS414HR-VG1.

BTW: it should also work in the GTA02 (which has a real 3.3V LiIon cell
in 414 package).

BR and also good luck,
Nikolaus