ANN 2: new gta04-makesd for preparing bootable SD cards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Feb 9 20:14:51 CET 2015

Hi,
as written in the 3.19.0-kernel announcement, we now support more and more
different hardware devices by the kernel.

To simplify creating bootable SD cards for such a plethora of devices,
there is also a new makesd script. No longer one for each device, doing
dirty tricks, but a generic one that knows how to create single and multi-
partiton images by pulling the components from http://downloads.goldelico.com

It is easily controlled by command line arguments allowing to choose
the version of a package to be installed, the device it should run on,
how many partitions should be filled with what. It is possible to configure
individually for each partition which x-loader and u-boot, which kernel,
which device trees which modules and which root file system is to be installed.

Some examples:

DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd -v latest-beta gta04  — production image (for unbricking, u-boot upgrade) for the GTA04 (Letux 2804) with Debian/LXDE using variant ‘latest-beta’
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd gta04b2  — same for GTA04b2 (Letux 3704)
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd bb  — image for the BeagleBoard (classic or XM) with Debian/LXDE
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd bbb  — image for the BeagleBone Black with Debian/LXDE
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd pyra  — same for OMAP5432EVM (Pyra prototype)
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd replicant  —  latest (stable) replicant (universal image boots on L2804, L3704, L7004)
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd -v unstable replicant  —  latest (unstable) replicant (boots on L2804, L3704, L7004)
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd all — make a 4-system (Debian, QtMoko, Replicant, QuantumSTEP) multi-partition image where you can choose the system through the boot loader menu (boots on L2804, L3704, L7004)
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd -v unstable pyra -F -v latest replicant — use unstable kernel and replace the Debian/LXDE in partition 2 with latest replicant (boots up to the root at android:/ # prompt) for the OMAP5432EVM
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd -v unstable openpandora  — the current working image for the OpenPandora (put into left slot and boot through boot menu)

More information about installation and examples can be found at

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/

Please note that a new consistent “latest” release is due, but not yet tested,
so some of the commands (without specifying -v unstable or -v latest-beta)
may fail because they try to pull files that are not yet available in the “latest”
as of today..

So I hope that we are doing something you appreciate and find useful
and maybe would like to support either through [1] or by testing, reporting
bugs and submitting patches.

We really appreciate your feedback, since we don’t find every bug and
flaw - and we always understand the bad and incomplete documentation [2]
we have written…

BR,
Nikolaus

[1]: http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation