OT: Ubuntu phone && HTML5 / QML

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Mar 16 13:13:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 16.03.2015 um 13:40 schrieb Neal H. Walfield <neal at walfield.org>:

> At Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:43:51 +0100,
> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> For our community products we have: because 1, there is no 2 and because 2 there is no 1.
>>
>> What makes the difference? Some investor (Ubuntu) did cover the risk of
>> buying the first set of thousands of eggs and was able to get the price down
>> (higher quantity buyer).
>
> My impression of the GTA04 marketing message is: the more people who
> buy, the cheaper the phone will be!

> Unfortunately, it hasn't been
> very clear to me how much cheaper.  I suspect that the same is true
> for other people, particularly those who are not following the project
> as closely as I have.
>
> If I knew that the GTA04 could be produced for 300 Euro if say, 2000,
> were produced, that could help me convince other people.  Of course,
> if someone is willing to buy today, they might not be willing to wait
> a year.

Well, there is a rough indication http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04A5

	• the final price is expected to be (incl. 19% German VAT)
		• 599 EUR if we reach 100 production units
		• 549 EUR if we reach 200 production units
		• 499 EUR if we reach 500 production units
		   but we will try everything to get below this target! But
                   EUR/USD exchange rate development is beyond our control

> One way around this is to use the strategy that kickstarter uses: only
> fund it if a threshold is reached.

We also have that. The threshold is 100 units preordered (where each
pre-order voucher at 100 EUR or above counts for one unit). This is equivalent
to a threshold of 10000 EUR which could be used to secure some critical
components (e.g. 3G Modem, memory chips, WiFi module).

If we don’t reach this threshold before the 3G modem really becomes unobtainable,
the campaign ends unfunded. We just don’t have a fixed date for the campaign.

> Just a thought…

Any thought is always welcome!

Thanks,
Nikolaus