moko13 firmware

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:43:01 UTC 2017

Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Why would someone do that?  I mean this as a real technical question:
> what is the difference between 2G and 3G which would cause someone to
> take a stand against 3G?

The difference is that for GSM/2G there exists a practically usable
implementation whose source code you are free to study and improve,
running on hardware whose electrical schematics and even physical PCB
design are published, consisting of chips whose detailed register-level
documentation is also published, without any restricted boot mechanisms
to block you from running your own firmware, i.e., a completely
transparent glass box implementation with full end user empowerment in
terms of understanding and improvement.  Absolutely nothing of this
sort exists for 3G or 4G or newer, or for any of the non-GSM
technologies (CDMA etc) that are also called 2G in marketing terms.

M~