contexts, profiles, proposition

Fredrik Wendt fredrik at wendt.se
Sat Aug 2 02:50:26 CEST 2008

tor 2008-07-31 klockan 16:55 +0800 skrev Guillaume Chereau:
> Hello all,

> ALSO : the 'default' profile is used whenever a value is not defined in
> the current profile -I know we could think of a real inheritance of
> profiles, but I am afraid it will make things too complicated for the
> user-

I suggest that you let several profiles be active at the same time (work
+ meeting + after_lunch). That way I don't have to use the same settings
for meetings held at work and privately (Linux user group for instance).
(Default would then always be turned on.)

Settings would be applied top down. The user puts profiles with the most
important settings at the top and least important at the bottom, a
simple prioritized list. Settings in a lower profile will not override
that of a higher profile.

The calendar would then only have to bother with turning the meeting
profile on and off. The GPS (or GSM cell id) daemon/system would turn
location profiles on and off. Clock would toggle working_hours,
after_lunch, during_lunch, soccer_practice, simpsons_on_tv, ...

My two cents.

/ Fredrik Wendt