Simple Makefile

Roland Schatz roland.schatz at students.jku.at
Mon Aug 4 09:44:40 CEST 2008

Hello
> I set up the toolchain as per the instructions on the wiki and was
> able to build and package the sample project as per the tutorial.
>
> My problem is that I am not very comfortable with the 'autoconf' way
> of doing things. I usually prefer a simple Makefile / Scons file.
No problem, just replace all occurances of gcc with
arm-angstrom-gneabi-gcc (same for g++, ld, strip, ...).

Personally I use a combination of autoconf and hand-written makefiles
(no automake), but I see no problem doing the same thing without autoconf.
What I do is just setting a HOST variable in the makefile, and then
compile using $(HOST)-gcc, and putting all target files into the
bin.$(HOST) directory.
> I am assuming I can make do with a simple Makefile right? It's not
> like the target hardware/platform is changing a lot for an Openmoko
> project. Possibly I can have different targets for ARMv4T build and
> x86 build. So I needed some help with this:
>
> I could see the usually libraries - libc, libdl, libcrypt, libgcc,
> libpthread .. etc. in
> /usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib . What about
> the windowing toolkit libraries - GTK+, Qt - libraries? What about X
> libraries? How do I get more libraries (that have been ported)?
Most libraries are in
/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib. If some are
missing, you can just install them on the host using "./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr
--host=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi; make; make install".