Kernel package and modules

Andy Green andy at
Mon Aug 4 10:43:56 CEST 2008

| |> I would like to propose we radically simplify how we deal with
| |> modules, simply by pushing all the ones we create into the main
| |> kernel package. This has one disadvantage, size on storage, but

| |> What do the folks who handle this packaging think about this proposal?
| |>
| | Or we could just RRECOMEND kernel-modules which will drag in all
| | modules. See we are ahead.
| What is "kernel-modules" then, a metapackage for all modules?
| I can't "see we are ahead" if nobody tells me what is happening.

Assuming this is so, why do we generate a bazillion pointless module
packages still if having the kernel package brings 'em all in anyway,
and they will ALL be regenerated at each kernel package uplevel?

How is that "ahead" of just making a single kernel package that has the
modules in too?

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -