Pulse Audio

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 4 20:47:56 CEST 2008

Anton Persson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that the Pulse Audio server and libraries are in the latest 2007.2
> release, and I gather it's available
> in the FSO/ASU-stuff too.. But; there are no development headers/libs in the
> toolchain available
> at http://downloads.openmoko.org/toolchains/.. Is there a development
> package for this somewhere,

I've heard that pulseaudio has been intentionally removed.  I don't know
why, but I'll guess it was performace problems with no/minimal benefit.
  I've noticed that bypassing it and talking directly to ALSA on 2007.2
doesn't break multiple audio applications.  (You still get the ring tone
while ogg vorbis is playing, for example...)

I'd love to hear the real story on this...

-Rusty