Illume multitap keyboard

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 5 23:14:16 CEST 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:04:04 +0000 Clare <claregj at gmail.com> babbled:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
> <raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:45:26 +0200 Michael Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>
> > babbled:
>
> >> I built the milestone at a time where Raster was revamping the
> >> keyboard, that's why dictionary prediction is not available in illume
> >> as per FSO milestone2. I'm going to push an updated version into the
> >> FSO feed, when it's done in Illume.
> >
> > yeah. it's not there. it need to be redone - but this time i'm going to
> > make it cleaner and leaner. :)
>
> If this means adding prediction to the keyboard in FSO, it is to me a
> pity. Hopefully it will
> be configurable. Also hopefully configurable the jumping up of
> enlarged letters rather than

? what a key does on a press is up to the theme. :) it can be redesigned by
anyone doing a new look/skin. right now the look u get - at least in asu, is
just there because its simple and works.

> bolding them, and even more desirable to be able to make it black
> letters on a white ground.

not prediction - correction. it wont complete the word for you, but it will
correct your typing based on key proximity and dictionary matching. as
discussed before - this is up to the .kbd layout file. if the key produces a
STRING (in quotes in the .kbd file like "a" "o" "b" "ä" etc., then the letter
is added to the compose buffer, and whatever is in the compose buffer is
matched (taking into account surrounding letters to the one you pressed) and
"corrected" based on a dictionary containing words (and optional frequency
counts). if the kbd provides keysyms - not strings for letters, they are
considered non-word keys and are sent directly to the app without being
buffered or corrected. so for example the full-qwerty (i renamed it terminal)
keyboard layout does just this. the alpha one sends strings, so they go into a
buffer until a non-string letter is pressed (or a right/down swipe for space or
enter). right now the illume kbd lost its dictionary when i redid it. i need to
put it back.

> In its current form it is beautiful to look at but very hard to see
> where the pointer is in a poor light.

pointer?