Feedback on OM2008.8

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 7 02:37:37 CEST 2008

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:13:45 +0530 "sparky mat" <max at sparkymat.net> babbled:

> I know its still 2 days away from release, but I figured I'd give some
> feedback on the current state (06-August-2008 image).
>
> 1) Awesome job!! OM2008.8 is making really good progress and the new image
> had me all in smiles :-) . Keep up the good work!!! (My impressions were a
> lot less enthusiastic last week)
>
> 2) Application launch is a tad slow. It takes 5-10 seconds for an
> application to launch.

the "loading" animation uses up resources - not much to be done really. if its
the qtopia apps then they are not exactly speedy :( splinter is pretty fast -
literally < 1 second (tho it takes about 0.5-1.0 second to actually get to
drawing its window). when the loading anim "stops" thats when splinters window
is already displayed - it just is lagged in doing its first draw.

> 3) The overall look and feel is good and has improved a lot. The icons still
> need some work IMHO.

they should be nice little images now (not the original app icons that come
with qtopia etc.)

> 4) Power button doesn't do anything except power down on 4+ seconds of
> holding down. In OM2007.2, long-press of the power button gave many options
> including locking the display, changing power management and shutting down.
> Short-press closed the application. It doesn't make sense removing all this
> functionality. At the least, long press could have locked the screen.

press power suspends immediately. hold for 2 seconds starts shutdown. options
could be done as the power button is just a key binding to run something or do
an action, but this is not the case in asu. it's simple.

> 5) Wallpaper looks decent, but I would like to put in my own wallpapers. Can
> someone point me to where/how I can alter the theme settings? (I read
> something abt Edje files in the wiki)

what wallpaper? well technically you get the theme default.. and its.. black.