Packaged kernel erase on update / updating SD Card Booted kernel from package

Graeme Gregory graeme at
Thu Aug 7 15:58:56 CEST 2008

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:45:04 +0100
Andy Green <andy at> wrote:

> |> Perhaps what it should do on that is check for uImage.bin on / and
> |> /media/card, and if found copy the payload image over there
> |> additionally as uImage.bin.
> |>
> | Im having trouble parsing what you mean.
> |
> | /boot/uImage.bin will always be a kernel image no matter the boot
> | media, what happens extra is this is also flashed.
> There's another case where you updated the kernel during jffs2 rootfs
> booted session, but you also boot on SD Card other times.  Then, it
> would be good if it made sure that the kernel update action also
> updated what would be /media/card/boot -- previously I stuck my
> kernels in / but /boot is fine now I see it is the convention -- if
> there was a uImage.bin already in there.
Hmm, there is a very good tradition in packaging systems to not fsck
with data outside of / for very good reasons. Im not sure I like the
automatically overwriting stuff on mounted media without knowing what
it is.

> Did you see any problem with the flash_erase --> first 4MBytes of
> kernel partition thing?
No problems I can see, but gta01 is so old I cant remeber what its
partitioning is like.