Question about GIT branches workflow

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 11 00:48:27 CEST 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008 21:21:39 Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Hi to all OE developers,

moo

> So I just wondered what usually happens between those 3 main branches (lets
> hold org.openembedded.dev aside since it seems that it just hooked into
> this git via bakerecepies which clone needed repositories), is there any
> kind of "policy"?
>
> Thanks in advance for clearing things up

Branches:
	org.openembedded.dev (upstream)
	org.openmoko.dev (following upstream with some stuff that is not
ready/mergable for upstream, e.g. the Qtopia recipe)
	org.openmoko.asu.dev (development branch for OM2008.8, free for all devs to
commit to... apply sanity, logic. Unwritten policy: only bugfixes, upgrade of
our software, additions for our feed)
	org.openmoko.asu.testing (new after release, accumulate packages for our
internal and "external" QA to test)
	org.openmoko.asu.stable (the stable branch, images and feed are generated
from here)

Work flow:

org.openembedded.dev -> org.openmoko.dev (easy with git-pull, XorA)
org.openmoko.dev -> org.openembedded.dev (manual merge, waiting for OE to do
the git switch, XorA)

org.openmoko.dev|org.openembedded.dev -> org.openmoko.asu.dev (in case of
upstream bugfixes, using git-cherry-pick)

org.openmoko.asu.dev -> org.openmoko.asu.testing (git-cherry-pick, after doing
basic smoke testing)
org.openmoko.asu.testing -> org.openmoko.asu.stable (after QA is happy,
git-cherry-pick too)
org.openmoko.asu.dev -> org.openmoko.asu.stable (in case of a new package for
the feed... no QA step as we don't test it internally)

After a release (or inbetween):
	org.openmoko.asu.stable -> org.openmoko.dev (merge, take care of PRs and PVs
to be able to upgrade, git-merge, git-cherry-pick)

New release:
	branch from org.openmoko.dev, create two branches org.openmoko.XYZ.dev,
org.openmoko.XYZ.stable, add XYZ.testing after a release.

Changes:
	Sometimes a bugfix starts in .asu.dev, got manually merged and improved in
org.openembedded.dev. Or some fixes

I might should start using graphviz, if you have more questions or need more
details please ask. And after two month I'm almost back in berlin...

z.