New GSM-Modem (MC75i) - was "Weekly Engineering News 32/2008"

thomasg thomas at
Tue Aug 12 20:41:36 CEST 2008

As there are speculations about the new modem for a while, I recently
checked out what we might get.
There's really not much information about the Siemens MC75i modem around,
but there's at least a very basic datasheet:
The dimensions it states is, that it's a 35x35x3.5mm package (a announcement
about the MC75i said, that it's using the same package) - compared to the
current 2-chip solution from TI (10x10 + 7x7) this takes up at least 6 times
the space.
So I wonder - where will you find the space in a device that is hopefully
not as huge as the neo (at least not as thick) to get this in?

Like said before: there is not much information about this device, but for
me it doesn't look like a module to be used in a small smartphone. It might
fit in a bigger PDA, in a notebook or in some kind of blackbox, but is this
device really supposed to be in a smartphone?