Debian on the FreeRunner -- now official

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Fri Aug 15 18:04:03 CEST 2008

Dear OpenMoko community,

the FSO packaging team of the Debian project[1] is happy to announce
that we have started to provide installation procedures and packages
required to have your FreeRunner[2] run Debian-powered.

This means that you can use your favorite tools such as apt-get and the
other >20.000 packages on your FreeRunner, including the
freesmartphone.org[3] software stack. You can also develop applications
for your FreeRunner the “Debian way”.

To install Debian onto your MicroSD card, alongside your current Image
on the internal Flash, see the instructions at
	http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner
These will provide you with a minimal Debian installation plus
everything required to use zhone. From there on, you are free to modify
your system as you wish – with the full power and flexibility of the
Debian system.

Note that Debian does not try provide yet another software stack (or
“Distribution” in the OpenMoko slang) next to 2007.2, 2008.8 or FSO, but
rather an alternative base, comparable to OpenEmbedded[3]. We are
looking forward to also support other stacks such as the Stable Hybrid
Release[4], once they are ready for that.

All this is still very new and was created during at the DebConf 8 in
Mar de Plata since last week. This means that there are still bugs and
other things to improve. You are invited to join the development by
subscribing to the smartphone-standards[5] mailing list that the Debian
team shares with the FSO team. There is also a wiki page[6] with more
information on the pkg-fso team, including a TODO section.

I’d like to thank Jon “maddog” Hall from Koolu[7] for lending me an
additional device for installation tests, and all the other testers at
DebConf and elsewhere that helped us to remove at least some of the
bugs. But don’t worry – I’m sure there are some bugs left for you!

Please send replies and further discussion to the
smartphone-standards[5] mailing list, but note that you have to
subscribe to that list first.

Enjoy!
	Joachim Breitner
on behalf of the pkg-fso team: