Openmoko Bug #1864: Keyboard needs to have a non-predictive mode

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at
Wed Aug 27 14:23:09 CEST 2008

#1864: Keyboard needs to have a non-predictive mode
    Reporter:  iknowjoseph                       |        Owner:  openmoko-devel
        Type:  defect                            |       Status:  reopened
Reproducible:  always                            |     Blocking:

Comment(by iknowjoseph):

 Replying to [comment:21 zecke]:
 > Summary (from my point of view):
 >     - One wants to be able to switch keyboard implementations fast
 (qwertz, pickboard, chinese)
 >     - One wants to be able to change "modes" fast (prediction on and
 >    - Fast probably means one to two clicks. Either use a hardware key or
 have it easily accessible in the decoration.
 >    - Does mode vs. keyboard make sense? For the prediction case it might
 not. In Opie we had multikeys which could load any layout and then a per
 keyboard config made sense. Personally I would go for "keyboards" and have
 per keyboard configs with the assumption that keyboard switching is fast
 and config is only used once in a while.
 > A lot of this is probably duplicate to the "how to switch keyboard

 This all sounds good.

 I like flicking the keyboard up to change the mode it's in. How about
 flicking it up to a non-predictive mode? Perhaps differentiated from the
 predictive keyboard by colouring the keys differently?

 Thanks for re-opening the ticket; I tried to do the same myself but lacked
 the permissions to do so.