WLAN: known issues and how to help

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Dec 2 15:01:35 CET 2008

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> my work wifi and some caf  (both of which are just open and are selected
> by wpa-supplicant's roaming code).

And you can associate with them even if you have the stale list ?
Or do you have to reboot first ?

What WPA configuration do you use in your home network ? PSK-TKIP ?

> I get to work (or to the caf ); at that point I often reboot in order to
> get wifi working, but occasionally I don't, and if the machine survives
> until I get back home, it is sometimes able to associate with my home
> AP again.

Okay, that looks somewhat similar to the "only one AP left" issue
when switching between local networks. In your case, it may be a
good enough work-around to just reset the WLAN subsystem (which
you can do without a system reboot if s3cmci is a module or if
suspending with a recent kernel without setting the "persist"
parameter), since there isn't any state to preserve anyway.

However, having to decide whether we're in an "entirely new
location" situation or just need to re-associate with our old AP
still wouldn't be desirable.

Thanks,
- Werner