status of

Rod Whitby rod at
Tue Dec 16 11:05:56 CET 2008

Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> On 12/16/08 Rod Whitby wrote:
>> The closure of is (IMHO) a step in the wrong
>> direction, since it further fragments the openmoko developer resources
>> and community.
>> This action says "Openmoko does not value the contributions of the
>> community developers who use enough to pay for a
>> single junior system administrator position to manage it".  I think
>> that severely undervalues the contributions of all the community developers
>> who have taken the time and effort to set up on
> Rod
> It's unfair to say that we won't pay for somebody to maintain this.
> Money is not the issue. We've said this numerous times. It's opportunity
> cost. We've never been able to get projects* running well. It's super
> painful for me each time I see a community member complaining about how
> busted projects* is. I would rather have Openmoko not do something than
> do it poorly.
> If somebody wants to step up and own this responsibility -- you bet --
> we'll pay the bill.

OK, that's a great move.  Outsourcing to maintain a central community
"meeting point" works just as well as openmoko maintaining it.

> Any takers?

I've forwarded this message to the person who runs all the
* infrastructure for that project (which I lead).

I won't state his name, in case he doesn't have the time available to do
this to the professional level that a paid position would require - he
does that for free for my project, but I doubt he can do that for two
projects ;-)

-- Rod