Release hopes

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.org
Tue Dec 16 11:11:54 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:36:34AM +0100, Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> Dear Openmoko officers,
>
>   This is an open letter to share with you my hopes that 2008 testing will be
> someday released as a minor update to 2008.9.  I am not feeling comfortable
> with the present situation as an ending to the ASU narrative.
>
>   Of course mostly everything is at an evolutionary end in this image and the
> system is not grandma ready. But from my perspective, the only thing that
> matters for such a minor release is that there are no regressions compared to
> 2008.9, and it is way faster. Seen from the outside, I wonder what the
> release effort could be, besides tagging and uploading to the directory.
>
> Cordially yours,
> Minh

Tagging and uploading won't do, because the current testing image uses
testing repository, and we are going to make big changes to the that
repository soon.  Since I'm merging the current om.dev back into OE, I
already know that after the merge finished, it will be incompatible
with the current Om2008, and it won't be fixed soon.

As the one who struggled and suffered dire consequence for pushing
this release and disagreeing with some other people in OM, seeing this
post gave me a mixed feeling of sad and irony.  People put their hard
work into this release, and now most of them are gone.

- John