Detecting „own“ number

Joachim Breitner mail at
Tue Jul 15 01:14:23 CEST 2008

when using my SIM card in my Siemens S35, I have a special Phonebook
called “My Numbers” where I saved, in that order, my mobile and my “home
zone” number.

Using this SIM card in my Freerunner, I was surprised to see my “home
zone” number as the sender or recipient of SMSs. Further debugging lead
that this command:

 dbus-send  --print-reply --dest=org.openmoko.PhoneKit /org/openmoko/PhoneKit/Network org.openmoko.PhoneKit.Network.GetSubscriberNumber

will tell you the Freerunner’s idea of it’s “own” phone number, and
changing the entries to some bogus values using the Siemens phone, I can
change that as well.

Are we using the right way to detect our own number here?

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: mail at | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata at |
  Debian Developer: nomeata at