How to cannonicate numbers in international form

Joachim Breitner mail at
Fri Jul 18 00:38:05 CEST 2008

Am Freitag, den 18.07.2008, 00:11 +0200 schrieb Tilman Baumann:
> For making non international phone numbers from the address book work,
> we ne nothing else than a _exact_ method to transform numbers.
> Anything 'fuzzy' is not good enough for that.

I think we have an agreement here: Solving the problem of
„eyecandy“ (although, in my opinion very important eyecandy), i.e.
matching incomplete numbers in the phonebook against incoming calls, can
reasonably be solved by the 7-digits-rule, at least until we hear

The problem of using the phonebook abroad would be a very nice feature,
and is mostly independent from the one above.

(Well, it’s independent as soon as we throw away the idea of requiring
the user to only use GSM-style numbers in the phone book, in which case
both these problems are solved simultaneously.)

Thanks for your input and discussion so far,

Joachim Breitner
  e-Mail: mail at
  ICQ#: 74513189
  Jabber-ID: nomeata at