WLAN and root password, remote login? (Was: Re: Request for Help on release preparation (identify packages with known security issues))

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Sun Jul 20 08:04:06 CEST 2008

On Saturday 19 July 2008 22:46:12 Mike (mwester) wrote:
> Holger Freyther wrote:
> > Guys, please don't make up "issues" were there are none. I can't stand
> > this bikeshedding. The old thread was about looking at the software we
> > could provide and has known security issues. If you are not interested in
> > that then don't comment and please don't hijack threads.
>
> Well, pardon me for trying to help out on your request!

I sent two mails asking for:
	1.) Reviewing/Creating a release policy covering root logins(!!)
	2.) Helping to go through the huge list of packages provided by OpenEmbedded
to check for known security issues.

This thread was about 2nd and I don't see how "root logins" has anything todo
with known security issues with packages provided by OpenEmbedded. Instead
bikeshedding starts. So far we have ~4 responses that don't have anything to
do with the request for help (and I even included a description to how to
reply to the mail...).

If you think the "root login" issue is not fixed by the proposed release
policy then please reply to the 1st thread, if you think the root login issue
exists due a bug in dropbear/login/glibc/kernel then please reply to the 2nd
mail, if you think there is another issue with privileges and got inspired by
the 1st and 2nd mail then by all means start a new thread.

I apologize if my attempt to keep discussions on-topic appear un-professional

   z.