Openmoko Bug #1646: $PATH not correctly honoured by the shell?

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at
Sun Jul 20 13:38:12 CEST 2008

#1646: $PATH not correctly honoured by the shell?
 Reporter:  Strolls  |       Owner:  openmoko-devel
     Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
Component:  unknown  |     Version:
 Severity:  blocker  |    Keywords:
 Blocking:           |   Blockedby:
 Using 2007.2 (default factory image, then `opkg update && opkg upgrade`)
 $PATH does not seem to be honoured by the shell.

 root at om-gta02:~# shutdown -fh now
 -sh: shutdown: not found
 root at om-gta02:~# find / -name shutdown
 root at om-gta02:~# echo $PATH
 root at om-gta02:~# /sbin/shutdown  -fh now

 Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Sun Jul 20 12:21:16 2008):

 The system is going down for system halt NOW!
 root at om-gta02:~# Connection to closed by remote host.
 Connection to closed.

 Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I first noticed this running
 /usr/bin/screen, and because that wipes the terminal when it starts it's a
 bit difficult to copy & paste the output to document it. ;) The weird
 thing is that screen seems to *intermittently* give this "-sh: screen: not
 found" error - it seems like when my Freerunner is first powered up it
 works fine (typing only `screen` or `screen -Rd`), then if I log out and
 connect again after a day or so, I have to use the full path to screen.
 This behaviour with `shutdown` seems consistent, however.