Getting rid of pulseaudio? [was Re: Cannot play MP3 or OGG as ringtone on GTA02]

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 23 00:26:52 CEST 2008

(cc'ing devel, since it's more appropriate there)

Am Dienstag 22 Juli 2008 03:19:24 schrieb Russell Sears:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > pulseaudio only features WAV files. In FSO we are using GStreamer to
> > create all kinds of tones.
>
> I've heard FSO got rid of pulseaudio.

Well, "got rid" sounds a bit pathetic. We are no longer using it :)

> Is that true?  Any problems?

No problems. Using alsa dmix now and despite Lennart's constant railing on
dmix, on GTA01, I can play two mp3 (via GStreamer) without any dropouts,
whereas with pulseaudio I hardly managed to get one without dropouts.

> Flamewars I should read? :)

None, sorry :)

> I ask, since I'm working on improving mediaplayer's performance.  Having
> it talk directly to ALSA halved CPU usage (I think this is due to a
> misconfiguration...), and didn't seem to break multiple simultaneous
> apps talking to the sound card.
>
> Anyway, if pulseaudio is going away, I don't want to spend time
> debugging it...

Well, pulseaudio is great. Honestly, I love the concept, that's why I pushed
it in to Openmoko in the first place. But alas, the current state is way
unusable on our slow systems. Perhaps this will improve with the new branch,
lets see. Until then, it's alsa dmix for me.

> Also, is GStreamer definitely in the future?  I'm looking into
> fixed-point graphic equalizers; gstreamer seems to be a good place to
> add one.

Absolutely. GStreamer is great and will be a vital part of the Openmoko
framework.

> The choices for adding new audio processing code seem to be adding a
> plugin to gstreamer, alsa or pulseaudio.

If you want to maximize performance, go alsa. If you want to maximize reusing,
go GStreamer.

--
:M: