How to cannonicate numbers in international form

Sascha Wessel wessel at
Sun Jul 27 16:10:58 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:43:59PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I assume you meant ???configurable by the programmer or maybe
> > distributor???, and not by the regular user?
> If there's a config file somewhere, people will find ways to make
> it do what they want ;-)

why not allow the regular user to write scripts for his
preferred formatting?

E.g. load all python files from one global config directory
at startup; provide some default scripts and put special hacks
in extra ipk packages.

This way, a script may return a string depending on only
parts of the number, not associated with any contact:
"Someone from Berlin in Germany"

Some ideas for search scripts...
* local addressbook - exact match
* local addressbook - strip non digits
* local addressbook - match last 7 digits
* local addressbook - buenos ires hack
* ldap
* phone book cd dump - german klicktel
* local ldap db dump for whatever