x in om2007.2

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sun Jul 27 16:48:02 CEST 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:24:41 +0200 Sten Kvamme <sten at kvamme.se> babbled:

>  From my point of view it's all about how many layers of abstraction
> I want to have between my app and my screen. X11 is certainly
> introducing a fat layer, and so is GTK+. The most extreme case I have
> seen is Chuck Moore's Colorforth, where you have no layers at all,
> you are dealing with the screen memory directly, there you can talk
> about snappy.

it's not the layers. its what those layers do.

> Joe Armstrong made that clear to me with his Erlang GUI ex11. The app
> is talking to the X11 server without additional layer than X11
> itself. Made me realize that X11 isn't that bad, it's all about
> layers piling up that is slowing things down.

it';s not the layers.. its WHAT the layers do.. and HOW they do it. look at EFL
(evas, edje etc.) they have LOTS of layers. eg:

app->etk->edje->evas->state engine->evas engine->xlib->xserver->graphics
hardware

but every layer there has a purpose.. and does something useful.. and it's a
matter of HOW you use the layers that makes a difference.