x in om2007.2

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Jul 29 11:12:30 CEST 2008

sparky mat wrote:
> kinda new here. i noticed that om2007.2 and asu are slower than qtopia
> (the one from trolltech, not the x11 port). i presume its partly
> because X is being used.
> would it make sense to alter gtk+ for om2007.2 to directly write to
> screen? and prolly add some window management i guess.. or make X a
> lot lighter.. are we using X.org or X11. what about TinyX?

Not so easy. Many processes one framebuffer. Who writes the framebuffer??
possible solution: one virtual framebuffer for each app. But then there
is that ugly layer thing again. And this layer would do much the same as
x does now...

There where many attempts made to solve this. Qtopia is the only one
that is at least still relevant today.

X as a screen multiplexer is not too bad. Why bother?