OFT Status Update 2008.7.1
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 30 14:54:21 CEST 2008
=Openmoko Framework Team Status Report 2008.7.1=
Hi guys! This is the third Openmoko Framework Team Status update, featuring
our second milestone release and more.
For the general motivation, the goals, and the way we are doing our work,
please see http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework.
== What happened since the last report ==
=== People ===
* John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.com> joined the framework team and will help us
part time -- welcome on board, John!
=== DBus APIs ===
* org.freesmartphone.GSM is almost complete now and stable. We did only minor
corrections and enhancements based on client feedback.
* Preliminary versions of org.freesmartphone.Device.Audio and .Accelerometer
have been added.
* org.freedesktop.Gypsy has been implemented and org.freesmartphone.GPS will
be used to configure more obscure GPS features
* Still brainstorming about org.freesmartphone.Preferences and
=== Implementations ===
'''Openmoko Framework Image -- 'All good things' (Milestone II)'''
This is the second milestone release of the framework and the framework
testing application 'Zhone'.
A lightweight image that turns an Openmoko phone into a featurephone and that
can serve as the basis for further application development using the
freesmartphone.org dbus APIs.
==== What's new since Milestone I ====
'''Note: These are only the highlights. See the [http://git.freesmartphone.org
gitweb] commit logs for the gory details...'''
** Merged individual daemons into one daemon with multiple subsystems
** Converted to python logging for debugging
** Enhanced tests and API documentation
** Implements org.freesmartphone.Device.Audio (GStreamer Playback engine and
alsa scenario control)
** Implements org.freesmartphone.Device.Input (button switches / headphones
** Accellerator support (raw data, gestures coming soon)
* ogsmd (''renamed from ophoned'')
** Implements org.freesmartphone.GSM.PDP (GPRS handling)
** Implements org.freesmartphone.GSM.CB (Cell Broadcast handling)
** Implements org.freesmartphone.GSM.HZ (O2/Genion Home Zone handling)
** Multiparty call handling for TI Calypso
** Initial support for Freescale Neptune Modem and Sierra Modem
** Call forwarding
* opgsd (''new subsystem'')
** Implements the org.freedesktop.Gypsy DBus API
** Supports U-Blox binary protocol
* ophoned (''new subsystem'')
** Prepare combined telephony API for VoIP and GSM
** Add phonebook
** Add messagebook
** Add basic GPS viewer
** Integrate Illume launcher and keyboard
** Ship additional programs
====Download / Installation====
# Grab a uImage and a .jffs2 for your device from
# Flash it to your Neo1973 (om-gta01) or NeoFreerunner (om-gta02) with
# Boot and wait until the Zhone main window appears.
# Have fun.
====What you can expect from this release====
* Messagebook (SMS)
* frameworkd implementing the following dbus APIs:
====What we expect from you====
* Feedback and comments for the dbus APIs. This is your chance to take an
active role into shaping the application programming interface for all your
* The best way to interact with the framework is by exploring the dbus APIs.
For that you can use the two tools, which are already installed:
** [[OpenmokoFramework/mdbus|mdbus]] -- a dbus introspection and interaction
** [[OpenmokoFramework/cli|cli-framework]] -- a python dbus command line
* If you want to interact with the GSM modem, while the frameworkd is running,
you can use [[OpenmokoFramework/mickeyterm|mickeyterm]] -- a MUXer-aware
minimal terminal emulator.
* SMS PDU Handling
* GTA01 GPS integration, cold and warm start improvements
* Preferences integration
* More tutorials and high level documentation
* Work towards Milestone 3 (see [http://trac.openmoko.org Roadmap and Issue
Mickey, Jan, Daniel, Guillaume, John.
More information about the devel