ipkg vs. opkg

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Thu Jul 31 10:39:43 CEST 2008

On Thursday 31 of July 2008 07:22:14 Mike (mwester) wrote:
> Werner Almesberger wrote:
> > Lorn Potter wrote:

> >> ipkg is pretty much dead. No one maintains or wants to use it.
> >> Long live opkg!

With ipkg there is also small problem as there are two different
versions of it... And two formats of package.

First it was shell script which handled .ipk "v1 packages" which were
tar.gz archives. This version was used by Sharp in their Zaurus system
and on some others systems.

Second version is what we know as ipkg - written in C, handle old style
packages and "v2" ones which are same as Debian ones ('ar' archives).

> That would come as a huge surprise to the nslu2-linux community, as
> all optware and SlugOS packages remain ipkgs, and the current
> releases of Unslung and SlugOS continue to use ipkg.
>
> We plan to switch to opkg for an upcoming release, assuming I can
> make it as small as ipkg (with a grand total of 8 MBytes of flash for
> the bootloader, kernel, and rootfs, we scrabble about for even a few
> KBytes).  Certainly the signed packages (a feature of opkg) won't be
> used; we just don't have the room.

opkg-nogpg should be fine

> So I think that it's a bit premature to say that ipkg is completely
> dead yet. :)

From development point of view it is dead.