What's going through /usr/lib + changing my symlinks?

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 31 19:41:20 CEST 2008

I have multiple versions of libvorbisidec.so installed on my FR (updated
factory image) for testing.

Every time I reboot, something resets the symlinks in /usr/lib.  It
seems to take the name of the symlink, find all the files whose names
begin with the symlink's name, sort them, and then update the symlink to
point at the last one.

Why isn't this done by opkg update on a per-package basis, or at least
system-wide at the end of each opkg run?  The current system is
confusing (to me) and potentially slowing down boots.

Is there documentation of this behavior somewhere, or a relevant thread
in the mailing list archives?  I did a google search, but might be using
the wrong keywords...

Thanks!

-Rusty