tichy launcher

Guillaume Chereau charlie at openmoko.org
Wed Nov 12 10:50:48 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 10:22 +0100, Mirko Lindner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I pondered a bit and we could also use a script to be called from the
> desktop files which decides whether to issue the dbus call or start
> tichy first.
>

> Charlie, you seemed to have a master plan how that could work wand would
> need to be implemented, do you think it could be done easily and
> integrated as an alternative launcher into tichy swiftly?

Well, I though we could do something similar to the way it works with
the qtopia applications. It would be like this.

We write a tichy plugin that starts a DBus service with one method
called 'StartApplication(s)' for example.
On startup tichy load all the plugins, start this DBus launcher service,
and start the mainloop. It doesn't open any window.

Then on the Desktop files we can use dbus-send to call tichy launcher
with the actual application name as a parameter.
Tichy launcher will then run the requested application. The Designer
service should use one X window per application.

Now the thing I am not sure about is how can tichy communicate with
illume to ask it to show notifications. For example when there are some
unread messages in the inbox, illume bar should show a notification
icon. Does illume provide a way for application to do that ?

cheers,

Charlie