opkg packet cache ?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Nov 13 05:18:40 CET 2008

Tick Chen wrote:
>   It's not hard to accomplish this.

Great !

> IMHO by default opkg does not
> cache opk files for saving the space on small devices.

This would be for opkg-target, so I have plenty of space :-)
I just don't want to have to mirror the whole repository, because
this would take a lot of time.

> Probably we will
> need adding another parameter such as "--reserve-pkg-files" to tell opkg
> it should reserve the opk files it downloaded.
>   What do you think?

I think there are three items this needs:

- either a way to tell opkg where to put the packages, or at least a
  way to know where it puts them (I guess --tmp-dir may go in this
  direction ?)

- a way to make it keep the packages it downloads. This could be the
  --reserve-pkg-files you proposed.

- a way to make it use the local packages. I guess this can be done
  by editing opkg.conf ?

I don't know the internals of opkg, but perhaps - instead of providing
three separate components - the easiest way would be to have an option
--cache <dir>  that makes it look for a package in that directory before
downloading, and makes opkg download to that directory ?

Thanks,
- Werner