distro package wishlist

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Fri Nov 14 23:27:36 CET 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:19:54 -0200, Werner Almesberger
<werner at openmoko.org> wrote:
> Dear distro makers,
>
> there is a number of packages I'd love to have in the daily feed.

> - last but not least, I've made a little utility that puts together
>   a rootfs from precompiled packages, using opkg-target. It's in
>   http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/werner/myroot/
>
>   The "engineering" image I make with it tries to avoid busybox and
>   installs "full versions" of the respective programs. Unfortunately,
>   not all the necessary packages are in our feed. Here are the things
>   I'm looking for and where I would find them on Ubuntu or Gentoo:
>
>   Ubuntu name     Gentoo name     What I'm looking for
>   --------------- --------------- --------------------
>   net-tools       =               ifconfig, route
>   iproute         iproute2        ip
>   iputils-ping    iputils         ping
>   dnsutils        bind-tools      dig, nslookup
>   traceroute      =               traceroute
>   psmisc          =               killall
>   tar             =               tar
>   coreutils       =               df, env
>   debianutils     which           which

I have full ip (iproute2) on my 'must-have' list, installing
http://newkirk.us/om/iproute2_2.6.26_armv4t.ipk in the first wave of
changes after every reflash of my Freerunner.  I'd originally depended on
it (unknowingly) for route metric support when fixing the DNS &
defaultroute issues in every image I've seen lately.
(http://jthinks.com/better-freerunner-networking) Luckily the busybox
version of 'route' supports metrics, so my fixes only depend on resolvconf
being installed.  I also use 'dig' constantly on servers, so although I
never opkg'ed it up I keep that on my server as well. (full bind9 actually:
dig, nslookup, named, rndc and host, though I only use dig on the FR)

It would be great to see those in the feed, as well as a fixed resolvconf.
(needs /etc/resolvconf subfolder 'run', with empty subfolder 'interface'
and empty files 'resolv.conf' and 'enable-updates' under 'run',
/etc/resolv.conf as symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf, and file
/lib/resolvconf/list-records - my netfix tarball has these fixes)