[FSO] where is the windowmanager and zhone started

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Nov 16 01:33:51 CET 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:20:44 +0100, Sten Kvamme <sten at kvamme.se> wrote:

> Thankyou for your help.
>
> I think I'm with you so far. What I want to do is start X without
> enlightenment. So I thought removing 90xXWindowManager
> from /etc/X11/Xsession.d should do the trick but no, then X will start
> and stop again promptly. No clue in x.log.
>

> /Sten

The problem is:  90XWindowManager only returns when it's finished, IE when
enlightenment shuts down, and xserver shuts down at that point.  You need
some task launched 'last' at that point that does NOT detach and return
control until it's finished.  On a desktop the simplest solution would be
to fire up xterm, which when closed would return control to xserver which
would shut down with nothing remaining to do.

What DO you want it to run under the xserver?  Just zhone?  you can try
removing the '&' inside /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80zhone on the second line,
where it actually launches zhone - that will keep the xserver running,
though it will not execute the following line (renice) until zhone exits.
(at which point it will execute the remainder of that file, any
higher-numbered files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d, then exit xserver)  If all
you're running is zhone then you probably don't care about that renice
anyway.