sdl testgl.c framerate on freerunner?

eric at ericanddebbie.com eric at ericanddebbie.com
Mon Nov 17 12:22:57 CET 2008

Hi,

I have a neo1973, and I was wondering how different the gl
capabilities are from the freerunner when doing fullscreen swaps with
opengl.

For a comparison, could someone with a freerunner try running the sdl
example program testgl.c (it comes with sdl) and report the framerate?
  I've attached a binary that I compiled and ran on my neo and the
source in case you'd rather compile it.

On my neo, testgl gets about 19 FPS without having much else running
(I'm running FSO 4.  I also did "/etc/init.d/frameworkd stop" to
reduce cpu usage)

How:
- You probably need libgl1 and libsdl-1.2-0 opks installed.
( opkg install libgl1 )

- You probably want to stop frameworkd to make the comparison fair:
   /etc/init.d/frameworkd stop

- Then run the binary:
   gltest.out
  and wait a few seconds before hitting ctrl-c.  The FPS number should
print out -- that's the number I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of writing a (really) simple game.  If the FPS on the
freerunner is much slower (and I expect it to be slower for now), I'll
avoid doing fullscreen swaps unless/until there's an accelerated glamo
driver.

Thanks for the help,
Eric