2008.11 Qs

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Nov 17 21:13:43 CET 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:37:40 +0100, Holger Freyther <zecke at selfish.org>
wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008 06:27:18 Joel Newkirk wrote:
>
>> What about the ever-worsening networking issues? (specifically DNS &
>> default route)  It seems that with each successive release of each image
>> (OM 2008.x, FSO, SHR) things get more messed up wrt networking instead
> of
>> improving.  Resolvconf broken or absent, default route conflicts being
>> 'solved' in shortsighted ways, routes and DNS blindly blowing away
> current
>> settings instead of augmenting, etc.  If each network interface properly
>> utilizes resolvconf and default routes are prioritized via route metric
>> then we reach a place where networking 'just works' most of the time.
>
> Could you please point me to the bug numbers of these issues? I'm only
> aware
> of the DNS vs. no default DNS issue in trac. If there are no open bugs
> please
> consider creating tickets and describing the issues and proposing a
> resolution. It is the only way to get things fixed, report them in the
bug
> tracker (to assign people to it, to solve it...)...
>
> z.
>
> PS: And "just works" and  "most of the time" contradict each other, do
you
> notice? ;)

No bug reports I was able to find.  I'll have to flash back to 2008.x and
note the specific details under that image.  Each image I've tried (2008.x,
SHR, FSO, RasterTest, FDOM) has exhibited varying problems with network
config/route/DNS handling.

The general idea though is that when various interfaces come and go (wifi,
gprs, umplugging/plugging USB) default routes sometimes don't make sense
and don't work, such as having two default routes of equal metric
(unspecified) or no default route at all even though USB is up and talking
locally.

I'll reflash to 2008 soon and take a look, then open a bug report if
appropriate.

@PS: Yes, I know.  I grok nothing 'just works' /all/ the time, though.